Best Practices for Student Veterans Conference - Sponsored by the USDE, Office of Civil Rights, September 9, 2011
Here's a recent announcement, from Betsy Sheldon at the Chancellor's office, via the California Community College Mental Health Listserve.
The U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), is pleased to invite you for a one-day conference on best practices for serving student veterans on college campuses. The conference will be held on Friday, September 9, 2011, in our office at 50 Beale Street, Suite 8100, in San Francisco, California, from 8:00 am-4:30 pm.
This conference will provide a unique opportunity for college staff to learn about best practices for student veteran success. We will address questions such as:
- How do PTSD and TBI affect learning?
- How do you interpret and understand VA documentation of disability, and what are some of the latest assistive technologies to help Wounded Warriors?
- How can your school attract student veterans and help them achieve their educational goals?- What external services and resources are available to help student veterans and how can your school partner with the VA or the Vet Center to offer counseling services on campus to student veterans?
- What services have been tried, what has worked, and what has not worked as well?
- What can we learn from the experience of others with well established veterans programs such as Sierra College, San Diego State University and Sacramento State University?
This conference is ideal for administrators, veterans services staff, counselors, faculty, and disabled student service staff. There is no registration fee and space is limited. To register, please go to the website address below. Make sure to continue with the registration process until you reach the confirmation page.
http://usdoedregistration.ed.gov/profile/web/index.cfm?PKWebId=0x856631f If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Laura Welp at Laura.Welp@ed.gov or (415) 486-5577. Thank you for your consideration, and we hope to see you on September 9th!
San Francisco Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
Welcome to the MHWA blog, where announcements and other items sent around through our distribution list will be available. The archives will serve as a repository, so if you deleted that email and now wish you didn't - you'll be able to find it here.